This seems like one of those things that was just meant to be.
It was a Sunday night & I was trying to be a 'good mum' doing a bit of baking for Miss Macs school lunch box. Scones I thought - great idea! Easy, quick, delicious - thats what we are all about. So I quickly threw a mix together, reached for the relish to spoon a top - crap! We were out. My eyes scanned the fridge, hmm half a bottle of Creamy Tomato & Gin sauce left from Brians lunch the day before, why not!? (Apart from the fact that Brian is very protective of his gin sauce but I thought this a worthy cause). I slapped it atop the scone, sprinkled, well showered it with cheese and hoped for the best.
And boy oh boy did these babies deliver. Talk about taking the humble scone to the next level! A must try in my opinion.
3C plain flour
3 1/2tsp baking powder
2 1/2C plain yoghurt
200g frozen spinach
1/2C grated cheese plus more for sprinkling
1/2 a jar Real Pasta Creamy Tomato & Gin sauce
- Defrost the spinach and wring it dry, discard the water or keep for smoothies
- Mix together flour, baking powder, yog, spinach & cheese just enough to form a shaggy dough
- Turn out onto a floured surface and gently shape into a large rectangle, about 1 - 2 inches thick
- Spread sauce on top and sprinkle with cheese
- Slice into 8 - 10 large scones, place on a baking tray and bake at 170c for 20 - 25 mins until lightly golden/springs back when gently pressed